Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wild Bill Hagy, a late tribute

Last week I was at work, looking at the paper when I saw this article about the death of “Wild Bill” Hagy, the biggest Baltimore Oriole fan ever, I couldn’t help but smile. Not because he was dead, of course, but because when I read this tribute to a man who obviously cared very much about his team and reflects many of the values I have as a sports fan, I saw something that truly, truly touched my heart. Here was someone who cared, who threw his entire being into supporting his team. I have bitched about the things that bother me as a fan of the Baltimore Orioles (the politics, the way we are treated as fans, etc.) and then I see someone like this, who was exactly the type of fan the team needed, and it makes me a little sad that I was not a part of this time in the Orioles history.
He went to every game, drank beer, led cheers, and most importantly (to me)--he got mad. When Memorial Stadium banned people from bringing in their own coolers and beer, he started a boycott, and he stuck by it. And that was what struck me--he did not simply accept it: he fought back. The lesson I learn from this, is that even if the protest means little to the people you are trying to affect, do it anyway. I wrote about it earlier, how I do not like being among “the Best-Behaved Fans in Baseball,” and from what I can tell, he wouldn’t have liked it either.
The one story I like: He drove a cab, and if an out-of-town fan entered wearing a Yankees hat, he ordered it removed. If the person refused, he refused the fare. (from the obit.) When now, we bend over backwards not to offend the “New York” fans (from Fells Point or from the suburbs) it makes me want to throw up.
Therefore, my personal tribute to a man I have never met: I will play Giuliani Time at my next show.

1 comment:

Inner Jib said...

I was at the game last Wednesday when they showed a tribute to Wild Bill. I had never heard of him before, but, man, what I wouldn't give to have a few of him in the stands at Camden Yards now.

-John