Saturday, August 11, 2007

To Hell with Writer’s Block!

I read somewhere once that when Inventor Thomas Edison’s Lab burned down, his reaction was something like “What a great opportunity! Now I can start over!” (not an exact quote) and I have experienced a somewhat similar feeling with my writing.

I was at work and it just totally hit me: “Scrap the story! Start over!” and as crazy as that sounded to me after having done so much work, it seemed really appealing. It occurred to me that in this great wonderful world of satire and ridiculousness, there is (theoretically) just too much to write about for me to ever claim writer’s block. Suddenly I’m having ideas left and right about where I want to go with the new story-line, and I’m filling pages and pages with them. And just now, today, I sat for a solid two hours and banged out the rough outline and some scenes for the story: Low Level Bureaucrats 3: A New Beginning. And finally, I can truly say that it will be the story I really want to write. Inspiration is crazy like that sometimes. But I’ll take it.

www.daveygandthekeyboard.com
ps--this inspiration hit while reading some article about how the drug they give for Restless Leg Syndrome has a side effect of making people want to gamble. I'm not making this up.

No comments: