Friday, August 10, 2007

Campaign 2007: Day 13--Some of My Endorsements!

So you wanna vote for Davey G for Best Solo Music Artist, but you need another 24 categories to make your vote count? Then read my endorsements for Best of Baltimore! (not including bands or bartenders because that gets into office politics and I really don’t want to piss anyone off)

Best place to get a sandwich: Galley Café (on Centre Street). Disclosure: I worked here for 6 years under the old owners. But Judy still kicks out a good sandwich.

Best Gay Bar (I’m not gay…at least, I’m not that gay) : Leon’s on Tyson Street. Could also go for Best Dive Bar. Man those guys seem like they’re having man-fun in there! This place smells really odd. I mean, from the outside.

Best Sports Bar: Long John’s Pub (on 29th). I’ve always had a place in my heart for this Remington Institution. Plus, it’s a great cheap place to watch the Orioles on a big screen.

Best Athlete: Nick Markakis. He is the future of our team.

Best Greek:
Nick Markakis. Look, he's being funny.

Best Place to get a Haircut: Joe’s Barber Shop in Locust Point. Maybe my hair is a bad advertisement for Joe. But frankly, paying a lot for a haircut when I could go to Joes and pay 7 bucks? Why not? The man can crank out a haircut in 8 minutes when he’s busy (I timed him).

Best Auto Repair Shop: Charles Village Exxon. Nick the Mechanic is a Godsend. He works fast, never tries to upsell me (take that, Jiffy Lube!) and didn’t even blink when I warned him that fixing my car (with the broken door that makes it impossible to get in unless I climb through over the passenger side) would be a pain in the ass. Bonus reason to vote for CVE: when my old roommate got a rat stuck in her car, the other mechanic, citing his experience in Vietnam, made it his mission to get it out. I don’t know crap about cars, but these are good people.

Best Place to Workout: Huh?

Best cup of Coffee: Peace and a Cup of Joe (on Pratt and MLK). Okay, I don’t live near there anymore, but when I did this place kicked out a fine cup. Additionally, it has a very liberal “stamp” policy--buy 4 cups and get the 5th free. Plus--this area really, really needs a coffee shop to stay in business longer than a year.

Best Reason to Pick Up City Paper: Henry Hong (Eat me!). He bitched and complained about the food column until City Paper gave him a column. True Democracy in action: he had a point to make and now he’s making it, which is what my entire campaign is about. Besides…I owe him one for getting his girlfriend to vote for me.

Best Reason Not to Pick up City Paper: The Good Old Boy Network that overexposes some and completely ignores others. I know what you’re saying: I don’t have cable and I don’t get that network. Or maybe that’s just me.

http://www.citypaper.com/bob/poll.asp


www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: