Monday, October 01, 2007

Silent Auction Recap!



This weekend’s Silent Auction for the Race for the Cure was a big success! I asked my girl “What do they do with the stuff that doesn’t sell?” and she said “Everything sold!” All right! My Davey G and the Keyboard Gift Package was one of the first things to go, along with a whole slew of great stuff, including tool sets, learning packages for kids, gift certificates for restaurants--literally, there was not one item left standing as the event helped to raise many, many dollars to help the fight against breast cancer.

I’d like to thank everyone who came out to help, it was an unbelievable success and I was proud to be part of it.

Let me tell you about the day--after helping to load all the gift packages from ISG Headquarters to the Waterfront Hotel, I went around putting up signs with arrows, pointing people to the event. On the way, I talked to some Lyndon Larouche guy who was out stumping for his cause. While I admit to my ignorance of Lyndon Larouche (the extent of my knowledge comes from a Simpsons episode where Homer is kidnapped by aliens and says “Lyndon Larouche was right!”) he was a nice guy who for the most part said things I agreed with (e.g., “nice day today, isn’t it?”).

About an hour after all the signs were up, I went out and saw that the one on the corner of Thames and Broadway had been taken down and (gasp!) thrown in the trash! I was shocked…well, not really. That particular place I had put it is known for being a bad spot for that sort of thing (no punk rock flyer ever stays up there for long.) But this led to a tactic that may have done more good than the sign: we went around with signs and drew people in! I held up the once-discarded sign with the arrow and said “Silent Auction at the Waterfront Hotel!” The foot traffic that came from taking it to the streets was tremendous.

And now I must offer a humble, heartfelt admission. While I am on record, both in song (“Giuliani Time”) and in the blog and in person of being a huge Yankees and Yankees fan hater, I have got to offer them my thanks. I believe that their presence in town boosted the success of this event. With all of them walking around, with nothing but time on their hands and money to spend, they truly were an asset to the Silent Auction. Big thanks to the one fan who was drawn in by my arrow, then spent the whole afternoon at the auction!

So soak up my temporary love, Yankees fans, because next week I am sooooo rooting against you!

But seriously, thanks to all of you.

www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehe, nice recap. and thanks for noting that the Yankees' fans were big spenders. i remember listening to the O's game during the food drive, and the organizer of the event was saying that in the past they've had this on a Boston weekend, and then on a New York weekend - and that the new yorkers are better at opening up their wallets. good to know for future fundraiser planning! kudos to NY fans!!