Monday, May 28, 2007

May 25, Sidebar Tavern Wrap-up



(pix by Holly, thanks!)

May 25
Davey G and the Keyboard at the Sidebar
with
Eric Crapton, Temp Sound Solutions, Broken Consort, and the Entertainment System


Wow, this show just about had it all.
Sidebar Ken announced that Eric Crapton couldn’t make it, as he died in rehab just that morning. But the good news was that his brother Derek Crapton was available, so this bearded hillbilly took the stage and sang Karaoke to the “Batman” theme. Then…Eric Crapton showed up (he’s alive!), stabbed his brother with a knife, then assumed the stage. He played for about 10 minutes, with a banjo, doing a song about Superman and all the other superheroes, getting angry when people laughed at his jokes and then getting angry when people didn’t laugh at his jokes. The show ended abruptly when Eric had to run for his life from the cops. I really hope he’s all right.
Temp Sound Solutions was a one man guitar/metal player, playing against a sequencer, very rock-tastic. Broken Consort is three guys using samplers and guitars to form an experimental sound. Entertainment System, who played after me, were tight, video game music and a lot of lights. Cool…

I felt really good at this one, I feel like the Sidebar is becoming a good second home. Turnout for this show was great. I did 16 songs of my evolving set, as I try to work my way out of leaning so much on the songs from the second album. I did Handshake, Bad Posture, Childhood Pain, You Triumph when You Quit, and Office Supply Store, all from the upcoming CD, plus Kill You and Drinking Beer at Grandma’s House, old classics. It was dark, I had my sunglasses on, and I had to take them off and put my near-sided self right next to the keyboard to make the necessary pre-set and sound changes. There was a big sing-along during Wash the Dish, which was awesome.

I threw in an inside joke for all the fans who had seen my act before (about half the crowd): when I got to the Lotion bit, instead of erupting into seizures of lotion spewing all over the place, I very calmly took out the lotion bottle, rubbed some on my hands, and then put it away and resumed playing. People were screaming at me to take my shirt off!
During the second chorus, I used my “stage lotion,” which I unfortunately didn’t refill before the show. It was mostly water, and did not have the desired effect. But it wasn’t as gross, either.

Here’s hoping for more Sidebar shows sometime soon!

www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: