Tuesday, January 23, 2007

notes on songs, What I Can Learn From Weird Al

Working on a little Davey G. Sampler, for local jukebox play. Not a big project, not for sale or anything, just something I’ve been thinking about. It’s funny to think about all the songs I never play anymore, and how different (at least, to me) the new songs are from the days of the Generica cassette.
I wrote a new song yesterday, with the help of the Casiotone, based on a joke that has been in my head for years. I want to write a lot of songs and then cut out the crap. So far, the process has yielded about 8 songs I like, and about a half dozen that could go either way. One thing: Weird Al, whom I greatly admire, has a habit of making even his not-that-funny songs hilarious, all based on his energy. Just watch the Eat It Video sometime. While the song is funny in it’s own right, the video is double-plus funny because of the absolutely over-the-top dead seriousness and energy he puts into it. He is silly, but he means it.
I could learn a lot from that.
www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: