Sunday, April 29, 2007

Recap: Smartish Pace Issue 14 release party @ The Whole Gallery



www.flickr.com/photos/ashleysauers

This show had some casualties: too late did I realize, as I was rolling around on the floor in my lotion, that in my back pocket was my main set of glasses.
As this was a release party for a poetry journal, it opened with 3 poets reading from their work. Poetry really isn’t my thing, but it brought back memories of when I first came to Baltimore and went out to read my stories for audiences who had no idea what to make of me (I even recognized at least one of the people in the crowd as an old school poet from those days). Then the opening band--the bass player from Mr. Moccasin and a drummer doing minimal-Sebadoh/maybe little Nirvana style songs, which I enjoyed. Gauging the audience, it seemed like it would be a really hard room to get people’s attention. I really just wanted to relax and do the best show possible for whoever was paying attention.
I got up, did a cursory sound level check, then took off with it. I feel like it went okay. When I got to the lotion bit I definitely overdid it--there was such a nice wood floor with clear space in front of me it was hard to resist the urge to just use that space to maximum effect. And, as I mentioned, my glasses were in my back pocket, and they got bent out of shape as the result of this (gonna have a funny story for the people at For Eyes).
I am lousy at determining who will like my stuff. People that I think look like they will be totally offended by me are the ones who come up and tell me how great it was. Here, it seemed like if you were my age or more, you liked me, if you were younger (as most were) you were kind of scratching your head and smiling. I had fun.

Davey G and the Office Supply Store E.P. tomorrow!




www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: