Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Price is Right: a vision of Utopia?

I don’t usually watch this show beyond 5 minutes, but today I feel like ass so I committed to a full hour of the Price is Right.
Today, a perfect show, 6 winners, everybody’s happy. One guy got the price of a bbq package exactly right, which won him the bonus prize of $500. In fact he had a t-shirt that said “I’ve come for the money in Bob’s Pocket” which is exactly what he got (they are still showing repeats from Bob Barker's last days before retiring). In the relative haze of sneezing and feeling gross, the warm fuzzy feeling of seeing hundreds of people genuinely excited for their fellow contestants, minus some of the “you bitch, you undercut my bid” common on contestant’s row (they don’t say it, but you know they think it) just made me feel really happy. It made me wish that life were a little more like the Price is Right, with that sort of “good for you, you win!” in a non-ironic, totally un-hip sort of way. But then again, this could be the Thera-Flu talking.

www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: