Sunday, May 14, 2006

Talking Head show wrap-up

Talking Head, May 13
Drug Mule
Koma Agir
Presto Magente
This was certainly one of the more interesting line-ups I’ve been with in a while. Presto Magente were a 3 piece that seemed to have home-assembled their instruments, switching things around, alternating singers for an interesting folk/electric sound. Koma Agir was a duo who sang traditional Kurdish protest songs with something that looked like a lute and a little round hand-held drum--they were later joined by 2 others who played violin and guitar to add to the mix. Drug Mule did about 35 minutes of noise improv, throwing in a trombone solo from time to time--basically unstructured but neat.
For whoever remained, I played 15 songs, mixed it up a little, doing a few I never really do live--Photocopy, Sleazebag…I tried out a different brand of lotion this time (cost 99 cents) and found it to be oilier than usual, it cleaned up a little easier. The sound was better than ever, and the people remaining danced and generally spazzed out. I was happy with the general feel of the show, and the short notice turnout. I sold some shirts and Cds, always a plus, but if I can just get one new fan anytime I play, I think that’s a worthwhile goal.
513show2

No comments: