Monday, June 16, 2008

Metro Gallery. 6-15




With Everthus the Deadbeats, Person Parcel, and Quartet Offensive.

There is certainly an advantage to having done a show a few days earlier--this is as close as I get to a “touring” mentality, where I might play consecutive days. This time, it was the Metro Gallery, my first time there.
Nice space--good size, comfortable seating, the sound is really kick-ass. When their bar is in place, I believe this will become the trifecta of performance spaces: comfort for the crowd, good sound with a nice sized stage for the musicians, and a bar for everyone.

To the show itself…it was truly an eclectic mix, starting with my low budget musical comedy, and ending with Jazz.
I opened, and largely played the same set as I did at the Sidebar. The one difference is a change I will probably effect into all my shows now, and that is the inclusion of a plastic tarp to catch the lotion from the “lotion” bit. It made the bit funnier, because it was putting a lot more production into this silly-ass bit that I’ve been doing for eight years. Good show for me.

Everthus the Deadbeats (from Indianapolis, Indiana) played a great show--versatile musicians who switched instruments, I thought of it as a weird cross between the Doors, Country Music from another planet, and the Cramps. But I’m really not sure if that covers it. Good stuff!

Person Parcel (My second time with them.) Gary B. and Ryn with an acoustic guitar and vocals, a folky, catchy, sing-along-foot stomping show. They are a fun duo.

I was packed up and on my way out during Quartet Offensive, which is in no way meant to diminish their music, but such is the reality of the Sunday night show.

I hope that some of you can make it out to my next show, which will be at the Sidebar on Thursday, July 3.

No comments: