Thursday, June 12, 2008

Books I'm Reading.

(I'm going to go back to putting my book reviews on my blog...here's one now)

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America by David Hajdu


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book is about that period of time after World War II and before the advent of TV and Rock ‘N Roll, when Comic books were seen as a scourge, a threat to the moral fiber of the country, meant to be stamped out at all costs. It’s pretty shocking to realize how little has changed, how every few years there is some new thing that reactionary types need to hold as responsible for society’s evils. There is never a sense of the “shit happens” or the ability to see a big picture. As a result, the comic industry, with all the talented artists and writers were destroyed, giving way to a new wave of comics with superheroes with pure morals and no ambiguity. Lost forever were the great books of the pre-comic code era, some of which I have in reprints from the ‘90s. Comics were forced to become squeaky-clean, and the wave of comic book hysteria described in this book is to blame.


View all my reviews.

No comments: