Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Stuff I'm Reading: Dishwasher 16


Dishwasher #16 by Dishwasher Pete
Dishwasher has been the chronicle of Pete’s quest to wash dishes in all 50 states, always hilarious and fun and an inspiration to me as a writer (and a dishwasher). This is a zine that has always spoken to my sensibilities, easily making my top 3 list of favorite zines of all time. And as entertaining as it is, it only ever costs a dollar or two, making it a wildly good value, much better than any comic book out there.
Number 16 is bittersweet, because it is the last issue ever, and for that I am sad.
By this issue, we learn that Pete has given up the 50 state Dish quest and he accounts for the long, long hiatus since issue 15, during which he attempted to do an all cafeteria tour, then eventually moved overseas and got married. He talks about his stint at a women’s college cafeteria in Pittsburgh, working in a dish room where all the dishes came through a window from seemingly disembodied hands, to pile up on him and his comrade Curly.

There is a section of 18 arguments against raising the minimum wage: REFUTED! Which I think should be required reading in this “debate.” And there is a page of dishwashing-related mini-comics at which I actually laughed out loud.

I’m sorry to see this zine go, but I certainly understand the need to move on. This song’s for you!


http://www.dishwasherpete.com/
www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: