Thursday, June 21, 2007

I’ve got a secret…a dirty secret.

The Secret: a movie I watched today.

I was writing, or trying to write a post about this movie but it just got so ridiculous I didn’t really feel like exposing everyone to what I thought about it. I did something that I never, ever do, and I actually read through nearly all of the user comments on IMDB about it. For some reason, this movie inspires a visceral reaction to it’s ideas. I admit, I’m fascinated by the way people hate it.

So screw it, here goes.

The basic premise of this movie is that the energy you put forth teaches the universe how to treat you--whatever you feel, whatever you want, the world has a way of making sure you get it, whether it is good or bad. Put forth positive energy, and good things tend to happen, and vice versa for negativity.

My criticisms: some cheesy production, and the ideas presented, as I understand them, are not new. And in all honesty, the assumption is that everyone who wants something is essentially good, with no bad motives or desires. Adolph Hitler can visualize the destruction of the Jews and it’s okay because he just really wants it (I stole this idea from Dan Savage in his book The Commitment, thank you!). People are not inherently good. They are not bad either, they merely are. The Secret is pretty much like watching an episode of Oprah except Oprah never shows up. Which is weird. (I actually think that Miracle Man guy they showed was on Oprah.)
One of the things that I think is so hilarious is reading reviews on IMDB and seeing how violently against this movie people are. I just read one that called it a “scam.” And a “lie.” Like they are selling Amway or something (but this site is more fun!) . Where exactly is the scam, or the lie? I just wonder what about this so plainly irritates people. (Granted, the internet is probably not the best indicator of opinion--I think people are much more likely to go on-line about stuff they hate then about stuff they like, but come on.)
I have read reviews that say how much this movie insults poor starving children in Africa and Jews who died in the Holocaust because apparently they didn’t wish hard enough to get out of their situations. I say this is bullcrap--if you understand Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, you see that self-actualization occurs after all the other basic issues of food, safety and security are addressed. (if you believe in Maslow, but as the internet keeps teaching me, not everyone does.) So saying that this perpetuates a “blame the victim” mentality is false. What it says is that now that we have come to this point in our history that we do not need to be hunting and gathering for our very survival, we can in fact concentrate on happiness. God forbid.

Yeah, I know, just shut up and play the damn keyboard.
www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: