Thursday, August 24, 2006

a day at the races

I was at the track yesterday, down about 15 bucks and making my last bet of the day--a 5 dollar win bet on a 5-1 shot that I thought looked pretty good, much better at those odds than what I thought was an overrated favorite who went off at something like 3-2. A win would have netted me 30 bucks and saved my day. Earlier I had hit the daily double for 7 bucks (2 favorites) and then I lost 3 in a row.
I made my bet, then went out to watch the post parade. My horse (the 9) rode by, the jockey was talking to Anna Napravnik, the 18 year old girl jockey (who has been totally kicking ass at Laurel), saying that since she hadn’t sent him a message in a week, he had knocked her down a few notches on his Myspace page.
The race was a 5 furlong turf race, and it unfolded with my horse charging to the front and holding the lead, then in the last half furlong Napravnik streaked past on a horse called Red Malone, completely fucking up the bet and setting me down 20 for the day. Guess that was her revenge for being downgraded on Myspace.
I went home and looked her up, but she hasn’t friended me yet.
www.daveygandthekeyboard.com

No comments: